Corus Writer's Apprentice Training Program
- Launch date: Wednesday, February 12
- Deadline: Tuesday, March 17 (11:59pm EST)
- Winners Will Be Notified: April 17, 2020
Submissions are now closed. Winners will be notified by April 17, 2020.
The Banff World Media Festival (BANFF) and Corus Entertainment are accepting submissions for the 2020 Corus Writer’s Apprentice Program. Attracting a wide range of experienced writers from across Canada each year, this program offers exclusive training and insights into the demands of writing successful television programs.
This year, the program is focusing on voices from under-represented groups and will look to choose candidates from a wide range of backgrounds with unique and diverse stories to tell. Successful applicants will receive a full access pass to the Banff World Media Festival from June 14-17, 2020 and will benefit from an exclusive opportunity to complete a two-week internship in the story department of a prime-time series.
What you’ll need to submit:
- An original series concept or script. Only one treatment will be accepted per applicant; spec scripts will not be considered.
- Resume outlining your background. Preference will be given to those who have at least ½ hour of produced drama/comedy.
- Cover letter stating why you should be considered for this program. We celebrate diversity and inclusion with respect and appreciation of differences including but not limited to: ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, nationality, sexual orientation, age, religion, education and ability. If you would like to tell us more about your experience as a diverse individual, we invite you to do so here.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from Canadian film and television professionals. References should be familiar with the candidate’s work and be able to comment on the candidate’s ability to become a writer for series television. References may be contacted by Corus Writer’s Apprentice Program Jury.
Note: letters of recommendation from personal representatives will not be accepted.
The successful applications will:
- A full-access pass to BANFF 2020 and a travel stipend of $1,200
- An exclusive meet and greet with industry development executives while at BANFF
- Extensive networking, pitching and business-building opportunities while at the Festival
- Opportunities to interact with showrunners, agents, producers and funders from leading broadcasters from North America and around the world
- A two-week internship in the story department of a Canadian primetime series following the Festival
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 2019 RECIPIENTS:
- Thomas Conway
- Jordan Hall
- Jennifer Irons
- Kim Morrison
- Heather Taylor
For more information please contact:
Brian Boudreau, Account Manager, Banff World Media Festival
Tel: 1.416.408.2300 x 284